S7-HiGraph provides various functions for handling your specific tasks. We distinguish the following tasks:
• Convenient engineering environment based on Windows standards.
• Programming of actions in states and transitions in the STL programming language.
• Call of STEP 7 code blocks (FC, SFC, FB, SFB with STL, LAD, FBD, or SCL instructions) from the state graph
• Programming of waiting, monitoring and delay times without using S7 timers: This allows you to save S7 timers, which are available only in limited numbers on the CPUs.
The various timers have the following functions:
– Waiting times delay processing of a status.
– Monitoring times monitor the processing time of a state.
– Delay times prevent a reaction of the CPU to short signal pulses.
S7-HiGraph offers the following functions:
• Comfortable development environment in Windows 95/98/NT standard.
• Programming of actions in states and transitions in STL.
• Calls of STEP 7 code blocks (FC, SFC, FB, SFB with STL, LAD, FBD, or SCL instructions) from the state graph.
• Programming of wait and monitoring times without using the S7 timers: One wait time and one monitoring time can be programmed for each state. The wait time can be used to delay the processing of a state. The monitoring time is used to monitor the execution time of states.
No S7 timers are required when programming wait and monitoring times.
These are only available to a limited extent depending on the respective CPU.
• Monitoring functions can also be programmed for the whole state graph. Specific conditions (for example, emergency off) which arise can be monitored centrally, irrespective of the active state.
• Testing the behavior of the functional units with the ONLINE function “Status“ where the currently active state, the last transition, and the previous state are identified, and information on the instructions in states and transitions is displayed.
• Diagnosis of process faults: Error states, monitoring timeouts, and messages can be displayed on an operator interface device.
S7-HiGraph and STEP 7 basic software documentation package
The table below gives you an overview of the STEP 7 and S7-HiGraph documentation:
S7-HiGraph basics and references
• S7-HiGraph for S7-300/400:
Programming state graphs
Basic and reference information explaining how to create a program, and the structure of the
user programs and the various language elements.
Element of the
STEP 7 basic knowledge with
• Getting started and exercises with STEP 7 V5.3
• Programming with STEP 7 V5.3
• Configuring hardware and connections in STEP 7 V5.3
• Migration manual, converting from S5 to S7
Basic information for technical personnel, describing how to implement control tasks using STEP 7 and S7-300/400 CPUs.
STEP 7 reference information
• LAD/FBD/STL for S7-300/400 CPUs
• Standard and system functions for
Reference information on the programming languages LAD/FBD/STL and standard and system functions, supplementary to the STEP 7 knowledge base.