As one of the leading international process control systems,
SIMATIC PCS 7 with its functional variety, flexibility, and performance
of the current version 7.1 has the potential for
implementation of innovative solutions that meet the special
challenges of the process industry. Since the range of available
functions and the application area extend far beyond the
limits of a typical process control system, SIMATIC PCS 7 permits
undreamed of possibilities and many new perspectives.
SIMATIC PCS 7 benefits from its seamless integration in
Siemens Totally Integrated Automation (TIA), a complete
range of perfectly matched products, systems, and solutions
for all hierarchy levels of industrial automation – from the
enterprise management level, to the control level, all the
way down to the field level. This enables uniform, customerspecific
automation in all sectors of manufacturing, process,
and hybrid industry.
An essential advantage of the integration of the product
and system spectrum and the solutions based on this spectrum
is that faster and more precise control sequences, as
well as integrated security functions of shared hardware,
engineering, and engineering tools can be used for automation
of continuous and discontinuous processes. The perfect
interplay of all components makes it possible for you to sustainably
produce in higher quality
SIMATIC PCS7 Seven advantages
The homogenous and uniform SIMATIC PCS 7 process control system with its unique scalable architecture and outstanding system characteristics is an ideal basis for costeffective implementation and economic operation of process control plants.
SIMATIC PCS 7 can be specifically extended by seamless integration of additional functionalities, e.g. for batch process automation, material transport control, advanced process control, asset management, telecontrol and safety applications, process data analysis/management, or MES tasks.
SIMATIC PCS 7 thus offers far more than a typical process control system.
There are seven advantages that stand out in particular:
• Reduction of total cost of ownership through integration
• High performance and quality coupled with efficient engineering, reliability, and availability
• Flexibility and scalability – from small laboratory system to large plant networks
• Protected investment thanks to incremental modernization of Siemens systems and third-party systems
• Safety & security – integrated safety technology and comprehensive IT security for reliable protection of personnel and environment, as well as process and plant
• Continuous technological innovations – from the world’s leading provider of automation technology
• Local service and support through a global network of experts and authorized partners
Reduction of total cost of ownership through integration
Integration of additional functionality into the process control system
Depending on the process-typical automation or customerspecific requirements the process control system can be functionally extended with additive hardware/software for special automation tasks, for example
• Maintenance Station (Asset Management)
• SIMATIC BATCH (batch process automation)
• SIMATIC Route Control (material transport control)
• Safety Integrated for Process Automation (functional safety)
• Advanced Process Control (APC)
• SIMATIC PCS 7 TeleControl
• SIMATIC PCS 7 LAB (laboratory automation)
All of these additional functions are seamlessly integrated in SIMATIC PCS 7.
A common central Engineering System with a uniform, matched, range of tools for uniform system configuration minimizes configuration effort.
Convenient, system-wide, uniform process visualization facilitates training as well as orientation and enables fast and focused operator intervention in the process operation as needed.
Integration of additional technical standards
SIMATIC PCS 7 is also capable of integrating technical standards that are not anchored in TIA. One example in this regard is the FOUNDATION Fieldbus H1 (FF-H1) that is established in specific industries, and which can be integrated in the control system via PROFIBUS. Hardware configuration and detailed diagnostics of the FF-H1 components are system conformant in this regard. Integration of the FF-H1 components in SIMATIC PCS 7 Asset Management is guaranteed.
Integration of authorized SIMATIC PCS 7 add-on products
Modularity, flexibility, scalability, and the openness of SIMATIC PCS 7 offer optimal prerequisites for integrating supplemental components and solutions in the Process Control System in an applicative manner and thus extend and round out its functionality.
Many supplementary components have been developed by Siemens as well as by external partners as add-ons for the SIMATIC PCS 7 process control system. These hardware and software products authorized by the system manufacturer enable cost-effective implementation of SIMATIC PCS 7 for special automation tasks.
High-performance and quality combined with efficient engineering, reliability, and availability
There is no doubt that perfect interaction of the extremely high-performance and high-quality SIMATIC system components is a major factor in the global success of SIMATIC
PCS 7. They are extremely reliable, and can also satisfy increased availability requirements when operated redundantly.
Proof of the high performance, quality and availability of SIMATIC PCS 7 is primarily provided by:
High-performance SIMATIC PCS 7 Industrial Workstations
for systems at the operating and process levels such as Engineering System, Operator System, Maintenance Station, or other systems with modern Intel architecture, fast Core 2-
Duo processors, large memory configuration, and excellent graphics for 1 to 4 monitors. All installed components are premium quality, have high MTBF values, and are suitable for
24-hour continuous operation in office and industrial environments at temperatures ranging from 5 to 40 °C.
Broad range of modular and scalable automation systems(controllers)
with finely graduated performance and matched memory capacity, all with outstanding processing speed and excellent communication performance even for high-availability, safety-related,and fault-tolerant applications
High communication performance
• Fast electrical/optical Fast Ethernet and Gigabyte Ethernet networks for plant bus and terminal bus
• Versatile PROFIBUS fieldbus architectures for process and manufacturing production areas:
For connection of sensors/actuators via distributed remote I/Os, or for direct connection of field devices/process devices and instruments including power supply, even in hazardous areas or for high availability and safety
Short engineering and turnaround times
for system-wide uniform hardware and software configuration with the central Engineering System:
• Technology-oriented configuration without requiring special programming skills
• Effective system functions that minimize engineering effort, particularly if there are many similar configuration sequences (bulk engineering)
• System-side support for sharing configuration tasks
• Numerous automatic configuration steps (autoengineering)as well as compiling and loading in one pass
• Controlled access and change verification
• High-performance version management with version comparison and version history
• Advanced Process Control functions
High performance and high quality
Extremely user-friendly, scalable operator system
with numerous functions with a high level of operational reliability, optional redundancy
• As single-user system for up to 5 000 Process Objects (PO), or as multi-user system with up to 12 servers/server pairs, each with 8 500 POs and up to 32 clients per server/server pair
• Integrated user administration with access control and electronic signature
• Short screen selection and update times (< 2 s)
• Modifiable in running operation, selective redundant server
• High-performance message processing with up to 150 000 configurable messages/alarms per single station/server
• Intelligent alarm management for selecting and filtering relevant messages
• Integrated, high-performance archive system for shortterm archival of up to 10 000 archive variables, expandable with long-term archive for up to 120 000 archive variables,
Compact runtime and complete systems
for subprocesses and autonomous small plants with excellent price/performance ratio – oriented for high processing speed or high availability
Flexible configuration of redundancy at all levels of the control system
SIMATIC PCS 7 supports redundant configurations on the
• Operating/process level
Redundant configurations possible for single-user and multi-user systems. With a multi-user system, up to 32 clients (OS/Batch/Route Control) can access the data of 1 to 12 servers/pairs of servers (OS/Batch/Route Control). In the case of configurations with redundant pairs of servers, the clients are switched over to the backup server in the event of a fault.
The following types of server can also be configured as redundant pairs of servers:
– OS Server
– Central Archive Server (CAS)
– Batch Server
– Route Control Server
– Maintenance Station Server
With regard to availability, ring topologies (especially redundant double rings) should be favored for client-server/ server-server communication (terminal bus) and for plant communication between the systems of the operating/process level and the control level (plant bus).
• Control level
Based on the two configuration variants “Single Station” (one CPU) and “Redundancy Station” (two redundant CPUs), the modularity of the fault-tolerant automation systems allows flexible scaling of the availability by means
– Double or quadruple (Redundancy Station only) power supply
– Double or quadruple (Redundancy Station only) plant bus communication
• Field level
Various redundant topologies can be implemented at the field level depending on the operating environment (hazardous zone). ET 200M/iSP remote I/O stations or
field/process devices directly connected on PROFIBUS PA are connected to fault-tolerant automation systems via redundant PROFIBUS DP networks.
With PROFIBUS PA configurations, the ring topology offers the highest availability and flexibility.
The ET 200M distributed I/O also supports module-granular and channel group-discrete redundancy. A sensor or actuator can be connected to two channels which are distributed
on two redundant modules in separate stations.
Flexible Modular Redundancy (FMR) additionally allows separate definition of the degree of redundancy for automation system, fieldbus communication, and I/O. In this way, individual fault-tolerant architectures can be implemented which are precisely tailored to a task and which can tolerate several faults occurring simultaneously.