The SIMATIC S7-1200 controller is modular and compact, versatile, a secure investment, and is powerfully fit for a full range of applications. A scalable and flexible design, a communication interface that fulfills the highest standards of industrial communication and a full range of powerful integrated technology functions make this controller an integral part of a complete and comprehensive automation solution.
Introducing the S7-1200 PLC
The S7-1200 controller provides the flexibility and power to control a wide variety of devices in support of your automation needs. The compact design, flexible configuration, and powerful instruction set combine to make the S7-1200 a perfect solution for controlling a wide variety of applications.
The CPU combines a microprocessor, an integrated power supply, input and output circuits, built-in PROFINET, high-speed motion control I/O, and on-board analog inputs in a compact housing to create a powerful controller. After you download your program, the CPU contains the logic required to monitor and control the devices in your application. The CPU monitors the inputs and changes the outputs according to the logic of your user program, which can include Boolean logic, counting, timing, complex math operations, and communications with other intelligent devices.
The CPU provides a PROFINET port for communication over a PROFINET network.
Additional modules are available for communicating over PROFIBUS, GPRS, RS485 or RS232 networks.
Several security features help protect access to both the CPU and the control program:
● Every CPU provides password protection (Page 164) that allows you to configure access to the CPU functions.
● You can use “know-how protection” (Page 165) to hide the code within a specific block.
● You can use copy protection (Page 166) to bind your program to a specific memory card or CPU.
SIEMENS S7-1200 modules
New modules for the S7-1200
A variety of new modules expand the power of the S7-1200 CPU and provide the flexibility to meet your automation needs:
● New and improved CPUs:
– New CPU 1215C DC/DC/DC, CPU 1215C DC/DC/Relay, and CPU 1215C AC/DC/Relay offer 100 Kbytes of work memory, dual Ethernet, and analog outputs.
– New and improved CPU 1211Cs, CPU 1212Cs, and CPU 1214Cs have faster processing time, the possibility of 4 PTOs (the CPU 1211C requires a signal board), increased retentive memory (10 Kbytes), and increased time-of-day hold up time (20 days).
● New I/O signal module: SM 1231 AI 4 x 16 bit provides higher sample rate and increased number of bits.
● New battery board (BB 1297) offers long term backup of the realtime clock. The BB 1297 is pluggable in the signal board slot of the S7-1200 CPU (firmware 3.0 and later versions).
Basic HMI panels
Because visualization is becoming a standard component for most machine designs, the SIMATIC HMI Basic Panels provide touch-screen devices for basic operator control and monitoring tasks. All panels have a protection rating for IP65 and have CE, UL, cULus, and NEMA 4x certification.